Northcott Neighborhood House has become a major center of job training for the construction trades with our Youth Build and Fresh Start program for young adults and our Milwaukee Builds program for adults. These programs provide job training, educational enhancement, and actual construction experience. In addition, the outcomes include the production of affordable singly family homes designed for sale to low income families.
Participation in Northcott programs is free. Programs, training, and education include:
- Milwaukee Builds – (For ages 24 and older) Participants in this program are taught construction skills by an experienced supervisor and work on rehabbing foreclosed homes, deconstructing homes with raze orders and various community improvement projects. In addition to construction training, crewmembers receive various certificate trainings in Asbestos, Lead Safe Renovator, Hazardous Materials and others. Participants are paid $8 to $10 per hour.
- YouthBuild - Employment & Training program for youth ages (16-24), YouthBuild participants are provided employment and training skills, over a 12 month period. While enrolled in the students will spend 50% of their time in educational activities, 40% of the time in hands on construction training (building new homes) and 10% of their time in community services and leadership development activities. Each member is a minimum wage at enrollment. YouthBuild members will also, receive a number of industry specific Certifications such as Asbestos and Lead Abatement Worker, Home Builders Institute Pre-Apprenticeship Certification Training (HBI P.A.C.T.) in in carpentry or a construction related field.
- Fresh Start – (For ages 18 - 24) Participants are provided training and employment skills over an 18-month period. 50% of the training slots are reserved for participants who’ve been incarcerated and are currently under supervision by DOC. The project focuses on new construction and certificate trainings in Asbestos, Hazardous Materials, Lead Safe Renovator, and others. Participants are paid $7.25 to $10 per hour.
- Transform Milwaukee Jobs - Funded by the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families. Transform Milwaukee Jobs program is an employment program that offers unemployed individual’s immediate work. The purpose of this program to enhance employment opportunities for people who have difficulty entering and succeeding in work.
- All participants receive training and certification in state-certified Asbestos Supervision, entry level construction skills, HAZMAT, Lead-Safe renovation, and Pre-Apprenticeship Certification.
- Milwaukee Area Technical College provides educational services in Math for Carpenters, Building Materials and Cabinet Making, Energy Efficiency and weatherization standards, and Solar Panel installation. All participants in Northcott training programs without a high school diploma or GED are required to participate in efforts working towards earning their GED.
For YouthBuild, If you have any specific questions please call the Northcott Neighborhood House YouthBuild program (NNH) at (414) 372-3770 or the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) number 711. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. This program is funded through the Department of Labor and NNHYB is an Equal Opportunity Program.
Participants may fill out or pick up an application at Northcott Neighborhood House, Monday through Friday from 9 A.M. to 2 P.M. For more details, contact us online.